Saturday, April 28, 2007

Ecclesiastes 3

"The Balance"
Ecclesiastes 3
4/28/07
Summary:
The story of Solomon's journey unfolds as he begins to settle down a little bit, noting that God has a time for everything that happens.

Key Verse(s):
3:11a "He has made everything beautiful in its time.
3:14 "I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere Him."

Lesson:
I found some phrases in this chapter to be a little confusing, but I think I worked through them. I'll get to those in a minute.
In this chapter, we read the famous words to the Beatles song - there is a time for everything! I think that phrase in itself says it all: there is a time for everything. We need to find a balance in our lives, by doing certain things over others, and others over certain things. Each of us knows where we struggle in those areas. For some, it may be a problem with talking too much and not listening. For others it may be a problem with too much self awareness but not even awareness of others around us (though it's good to have both I think).
Also, Solomon noted now that, despite his worries in chapter 2, the righteous and wicked DO have different outcomes! God will judge both according to their deeds and their hearts (vs 17).
Finally, we need to realize and embrace the fact that, to find satisfaction in our work, to eat, drink, and be happy - these are gifts from God (12-13)! If you hate your job right now...it might be time to consider some other options. For what good is it if you hate what you work, then later die hating?

Insight:
Verse 14 says that everything God does will endure forever...so that men will revere Him. This confused me, since I know that not everything DOES last forever. But after thinking for a moment, I realized that God created things perfect with enduring purposes, but because of sin, this is no longer possible. (However, our souls are still intact and will last forever, whether we live our lives for our Messiah or not.) But let's look one more time at verse 14: "...everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere Him." What exactly does it meant to "revere" God? I see two parts to this word:
1. Idolization of God. I see reverence as an act of unquestionable love and complete allegiance to another. I think that's putting it a little too formally as a matter of fact. Imagine how a typical hardcore Beatles fan would act at a concert or backstage with them ("For every season...")! Imagine the crazy feelings one would have; the devotion; the utmost respect, hanging on every word that said or sang!
2. I also see reverence as awe, fear, and formal respect for another. This is a more solemn definition, but very important.

I see both parts of idolization, and fear, awe, and respect - working together to form the word "revere." Now things make more sense. Do we revere God for his enduring qualities, His love for us, and the satisfaction He's given us when we work to please Him?! Or do we sometimes ignore the fact that what we do in life, for ourselves or for God will have eternal blessings and consequences?

Everlasting God, thanks again for creating me, for loving me, and for promising me eternity with you in Heaven. Thanks for comforting and encouraging me with your Word, and teaching me to find a balance in my life. Help my daily routines to glorify you, and help me to ALWAYS remember that what I do on earth should be done for your sake and not for mine, and help my wants to reflect your desires. I love you.
Amen

No comments: