Thursday, May 3, 2007

Ecclesiastes 5

"Stand in Awe and Be Glad"
Ecclesiastes 5

5/01/07
Summary:
In this chapter, Solomon talks about the importance of fulfilling our vows to God, as well as the importance of just standing in awe of Him. He also talks about problem with riches, as well as the purpose that God has for our lives - to be glad in our work.

Key Verse(s):
5:19 "Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and by happy in his work-this is a gift of God."
5:20 "He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart."

Lesson:
This chapter has a few sections in it, but are tied together nicely in the end. The first part of this chapter warns us to be careful on what we say (5:1-3) and not to be hasty in our speech before God.
The second part of this chapter talks about the importance in keeping our vows to God. This also has to do with being careful on what we say.
The third section talks about those who are oppressed, because there is always someone higher that wants to rule you and/or take your stuff (in this case, land).
The next and larger section talks about the problem with loving money, and how, if one cares too much about money, they could lose sight of everything else (5:10)!
The final section of this chapter, and only in the last couple verses, do we see a faint glimpse of hope:
Solomon realizes that it is good for us to eat, drink, and find satisfaction in our work, which the LORD has given us! Also, when God gives us material possessions and wealth, He wants us to enjoy them and by happy! We also don't have time to reflect on our past because God keeps bu bust!!! :D

Insight:
It's quite simple really: God wants us to be happy in our labors. He wants us to take care of what we talk about for a number of reasons. He wants us to know that the love of money is meaningless, but that the love of God is everything! We are to stand in awe of our God, and be glad because we are able to serve our Lord!
Jesus, thank you for giving me a job where I can find satisfaction in You. Thank for you allowing me to go to college, where I have been able to learn new things and apply my spiritual discipline to that area of life.
Lord help me to think before I speak, and to remember that life is NOT about pleasing myself - rather it's about pleasing you. But also that by pleasing You, I can ALSO please myself if I find satisfaction in You!
Go with me now and may my life reflect the character of Your Son.
In His precious name I pray,
Amen

No comments: