Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Ecclesiastes 10

"A Little Birdie Told Me"
Ecclesiastes 10

5/14/07
Summary:
The continuation to chapter 9, this short chapter expounds upon more characteristics of wisdom versus foolishness. There are a few verses that stand out to me in the midst of this chapter, as I will elaborate on momentarily! :)

Key Verse(s):
10:4b - "...calmness can lay great errors to rest." (NIV)
18 - "If a man is lazy, the rafters sag; if his hands are idle, the house leaks." (NIV)
20 - "Do not revile the kind even in your thoughts; or curse the rich in your bedroom, because a bird of the air may carry your words, and a bird on the wing may report what you say." (NIV)

Lesson:
Solomon continues his lesson on wisdom in this chapter. There isn't really a break between this chapter and its prior companion. But I guess Mr. Langton thought it was necessary. Embedded within the analogies of wisdom versus folly (foolishness) lies some other words of wisdom that I find especially relevant to my life. Solomon tells of the importance of remaining clam, even when someone as powerful as a king gets angry at you (4). As was talked about during one of the last CSF Get Togethers of Spring 2007, laziness is an issue that needs special addressing in our culture. Solomon talked about the same problem in verse 18. Finally, the last verse in the chapter talks about not reviling (bad mouthing) the king in our thoughts or words. According to Solomon, a little birdie might tell someone what you just said! Now you know where that term comes from! Isn't the Bible great?!

Insight/application:
Ok - as always, there is much to be learned and applied from reading God's Word! Here is what the Holy Spirit taught me when reading this chapter a few days ago. As I mentioned before, calmness is KEY when others are upset. I could have saved a LOT of trouble in relationships if I would have just remained calm when someone else got mad at me. But I always seem (or seemed) to have fallen into the trap of getting mad back! That doesn't mean that you can't argue or explain your point of view. But there are certainly tactical ways of accomplishing that!
I was riding in the car with Caleb, and he was telling me that he really wanted to get a manual transmission car again, because it's not good to have idle hands! How true that is! Verse 18 proves that point! There is another place in this book where other consequences are given for idle hands as well (11:6).
The last verse (20) really "spoke" to me. I realized that the term "a little birdie told me" probably came from here, when Solomon denounced using negative thoughts and words against the king (probably thinking of himself as well). This can really be applied to our life today as well:
People constantly bash our government, our president, but we even talk against our own friends, our own family, and even our King, Jesus! A little birdie might not tell President Bush what we just said about him, but our King knows even our thoughts! Solomon said not to revile the king EVEN in our thoughts! Who else knows our thoughts but the Great King? As the late Matthew Henry (1662-1714) said once: "Your curses cannot affect Him [Jesus]; but His curse, coming down upon you, will sink you to the lowest hell."


My King,
Again I bring to you my sins and lay them at Your feet. Forgive me of my evil deeds and open your ears to my requests.
Thank you Lord for loving me, despite my sin. Thank you for forgiving me, even when I stumble.
Lord, help me to control my thoughts and words. May my thoughts, words, and even actions bring only glory to Your Name and Kingdom. Help me to become righteous and upright in Your eyes while I live on this sinful earth. May my actions reflect Your Name as bright as the brightest Light.
Calm my heart in times of trouble and anguish, and may my hands never find the time to be idle.
Thank you again for your Son Jesus the Messiah, the Christ.
In Your Name,
Amen

No comments: