Friday, May 11, 2007

Ecclesiastes 9

"God's Favor"
Ecclesiastes 9

5/11/07
Summary:
The first part of the chapter talks about the fact that we all have the same destiny in common: death. Whether we're foolish or wise, we're both going to die. But God favors what we do while we're alive - so we should be happy, and honor God. The last part of the chapter focuses on the benefit of wisdom over strength and power.

Key Verse(s):
9:7 - "Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do." (NIV)
17-18 - "The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded than the shouts of a ruler of fools. Wisdom is better than weapons of war." (NIV)

Lesson:
Our wise king Solomon seemed to be depressed in the first part of this chapter - saying that all people have the same destiny with death (3). All of their love, hatred, and jealousy will be forgotten, and memory of them will vanish with time (5-6).
But, God favors what we do with our lives while we're still alive! We should be happy therefore, while enjoying time with our wife whom we love, being clothed in white, and therefore pleasing God (7-9). Later in the chapter, Solomon went on to explain how he saw a powerful king come against a small city, but how a poor, wise man saved the city from destruction by using his wisdom. Therefore, Solomon said that the words of the wise are better than weapons of war (13-18).

Insight/application:
A few thoughts come to mind when reading this chapter. I'll start with the small things. Solomon had many wives...I believe 700 wives and 300 concubines? (what's the difference though? I think it has to do with royalty - see 1 Kings 11:3.) BUT Solomon talked in 9 to enjoy life with your wife - singular! I don't see him advocating the fact that many wives make a man happier (or even pleasing to God). He also talks about being clothed in white. Is this literal or figurative? Does the color white symbolize something like purity or wisdom here, or does he think the color white is more attractive?! :) As a child (and even today at times) I thought of this verse every time I was about to put on a white shirt.
As a matter of fact - for graduation this year, I'm wearing white - partially to be different than everyone else, but also, I want to give God the respect that He deserves for bringing me through these four years of college. Most people won't understand what I'm doing - but then, most people don't ask or read my blog :) But who cares? It's for God, not for them.
Finally, Solomon gave that short story at the end of this chapter, about a poor wise man who saved the small city he lived in from the destruction of a powerful king. YET, no one remembered this man after the fact (15)! How sad is that? I was thinking though - do you think this man really cared if people remembered him or not? As a human he may have, but he was wise, and therefore I think he knew that it was only God that mattered - and He had not forgotten him!
Jesus,
I bring my anguish and sorrow at Your feet and ask you to take that away. May my heart be forever joyful, for You favor what I do with my life. May my words bring wisdom and not foolishness. Fill my mind with Your thoughts, knowledge, and wisdom, and may I become more and more like You!
May my mind and my life be clothed in white, and may I glorify You for the rest of my days.

Thank you for your never-ending love,
Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog!