Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Ecclesiastes 8

"Obedience to Wisdom!"
Ecclesiastes 8
5/08/07
Summary:
To briefly summarize this chapter, I would say that Solomon mainly talks about the vast difference between wisdom and foolishness, while also seeding a few proverbs in-between!

Key Verse(s):
8:1b - "Wisdom brightens a man's face and changes its hard appearance."
16-17 - "When I applied my mind to know widsom and to observe man's labor on earth--his eyes not seeing sleep day or night - then I saw all that God has done. No one can comprehend what goes on under the sun. Despite all his efforts to search it out, man cannot discover its meaning. Even if a wise man claims he knows, he cannot really comprehend it." (NIV)

Lesson:
Solomon tells us in this chapter that there is a proper time and procedure to everything (v6), and that if we obey 'the king' (or whoever is in control), our wise heart will know the proper time and procedure.
Solomon also tells us that we can't know our future, and, even though the wicked deserve a short life and the righteous deserve a long life, this may not always come true, and is thus meaningless. But God wants us to enjoy the life He has given us, and to be glad (v15)!
Finally, Solomon notes that no one can understand meaning of everything - even if a great wise man claims he knows, he cannot really comprehend it (v17).

Insight/application:
I wonder how many times we have neglected to listen to those who are older and wiser (like 'the king') and did not heed their advice. If we could learn to do that, our hearts would know the proper time and procedure for everything. This would include any time of decision regarding life, work, relationships (which is applicable to me right now), and much more. Wisdom is the key to everything isn't it? And wisdom comes through obedience to the 'king' in this chapter - but we could say obedience to the King of Kings will bring about the greatest wisdom of all.
Though we may not know our future, God still wants us to be happy and glad with the life He has given us. Therefore it is our job to glorify our Lord for blessing us with the life we have! Even when things don't always go as planned, remember chapter 7 when Solomon reminded us that God puts both the good and bad in our lives!

My King,
Again I bring to you my sins and ask for forgiveness. Make me more like you everyday, so that my life will become blameless and upright in your eyes, even though it already is because of Your Son Jesus. Thank you for your Son, and for the sacrifice He made for me and for the world.
Lord, help my heart to know the right time and procedure for things here on earth. You know my heart and where I'm trying hard to trust in You regarding my relationships. Please reveal your will for my life, and allow me to be more patient while I wait for your answer! May I glorify you in all that I do!

Also Lord, thank you for the change in my appearance - that I am no longer hard, but rather broken and brightened with Your wisdom!

I love You,
Micah - Amen

No comments: